Monday, September 6, 2021

All Quiet on the Western Front

   All Quiet on the Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque, is a historical fiction novel covering the first world war. The story is seen through the eyes of Paul Bäumer, a young solider in the German army, who volunteered the military with his school class after hearing the 'patriotic' speeches of his teacher, Kantorek.  As a solider in the German army himself, Remarque takes the reader through a soldiers experience through the war.  Along with Paul, and his friends, Kat, Kropp, Müller (and more), the novel narrates the soldiers emotional, mental, and physical, stress while fighting along the Western Front as the war unfolds and its eventual end.  

    I first learned about All Quiet on the Western Front after hearing about the novel during the WW I unit in World History last year. That being said, I picked up this book around late July and it was definitely  worth the read. Remarque's writing really makes the reader feel for the soldiers throughout the book and it was hard to put down. The novel has a more sad and serious tone, but it brings such a powerful messaging throughout it. Remarque's intention throughout the novel was not to tell a story of as if it was an adventure but to tell the story of the generation of men that was impacted and as he writes who were destroyed by the war. Following the journey of Paul and his fellow comrades on the Western Front and through the shelling and the trenches and even briefly to the civilian world expanded my view surrounding the topic of war making this book worthwhile. 

    I highly recommend reading All Quiet on the Western Front as the novel is full of great characters as well as deeply constructed themes and descriptions that takes the reader through a war that was burdening for so many.

 




7 comments:

  1. The way the story is told through a young soldier on the German side really intrigues me. Normally all that’s talked about is the allies perspective. It’s a very interesting to see it from the “enemies” side. This definitely seems like an interesting read for anyone who likes war novels, or any reader for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story would really interest me because just last school year I learned about all about the western front and what happened. It is cool that we can here about a German soldier instead because they was our enemy for the world wars. This tells us even more about what life was like fighting in a very big war and that's very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book seems interesting because I am so interested in World War I. I think that reading things from the POV of someone in the war. Also the fact that its from the German side is something I've never read so I'd be something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also heard about this story in World History last year, and reading a story from the perspective of a German soldier is interesting to me because a majority of WW1 stories are from the allies' perspective. Reading this certainly makes me want to check out the book for myself at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story is seems really interesting because reading about a person who you can read about their perspective is always interesting because you're able to see what they experience and go through. I'd read this book because hearing about a German soldier would be nice and reading about stories from the war.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book looks very interesting as it talks about both the mental and physical struggles of war on a person. It seems to be generally well liked by other people who have read it. I also would love to read this book, because as I've said it offers an new perspective for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book looks very interesting just from the cover alone. It has a very Unique art style. I've never really read historical fiction so it sounds like something new I should Try

    ReplyDelete