Wednesday, July 17, 2019

4 X Jason Reynolds, The Track Series


Image result for track series jason reynolds



Ghost (Defenders Track Team Series #1)Full disclosure-  I am a HUGE Jason Reynolds fan.  And I am probably the least likely person in the world to offer you an "objective" blog about anything he writes.  Reynolds has the sensibility of Langston Hughes with language that is both lyrical and fun, and he has the distinctive rich character work that signifies some of the best new adult and YA writers publishing right now.

There are four books in the series, and after being so drawn to the bold colored covers for a long time, I pretty much devoured each book over April break, and then raved to colleagues and students (and my kids) about Reynolds, about the Track series, and other books that I have already blogged about and may blog about in the future.  Each book has its own main character, hence the four titles in the series, and they all run for the same coach.  If you have ever been on a team or in any club that offers you some challenge and good times away from your day to day life, you could connect with this book.  I won't tell you my favorite in this series, but honestly, they are all pretty much my favorite.

Thank you, Mr. Reynolds, for writing great characters that we feel like we already know and that we know we will always remember.  Ghost, Patina, Sunny, Lu.

  

4 comments:

  1. This book stands out from the other books on this blog because it looks more fun. All the other books on here seem deep and serious but it's the summer! I want a fun book to read! Thanks for the recommendation I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this book sounds like a very enjoyable read. it sounds like each book will get me hooked on that character and keep me wanting to learn and read about their story. I also participate in sports and I believe that I could relate to this book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i liked this book alot. it shows alot of emotion and depth in all of the chartacters alone. it shows the emotions and problems that all of the charcters individually have to them selfs and the emotions they have twords others. this book kinda stands out to me becuase i can kinda relate to it and everything that happens when he, joins the track team it shows how all of the problems he has with himself and the problems that he has with others i can relate becuase i joined a football team for newlondon late into the season and I did not know anyone and i would mess up on the worse times
    -isaiah griffin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy books that are based around sports, so this book has caught my eye. There are not a lot of sports that I feel like you can write a great book about, however I feel that running is perfect for writing about. Running involves a lot of thinking and letting your thoughts roam and I think that can really help when writing about sports. I also really enjoy hearing different perspectives of the same story or similar scenario in books and this series fits that. I look forward to reading into this series in the future.

    ReplyDelete