Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Hey Kiddo


Hey Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka brings the reader into the perspective of a younger Jarrett working through his childhood.  Jarrett mostly lives with his grandparents as his mother battles addiction.

The images Jarrett creates on the page reflect his coming of age and the whirlwind of emotional experiences he has in his reality.  The reader sees these experiences through the memories of Jarrett, both the collective family memories before he was actually born and the memories that he actually has as a younger child as well a young adult.  Along with the challenges Jarrett faces due to his circumstances, the reader can also connect to his more universal experiences that are just part of growing up. 

As this year's One Book, One Region selection, you should have no problem finding this great read on shelf at all of our libraries.  Jarrett Krosoczka visits Fitch students on September 18. 

6 comments:

  1. Interesting description. It caught my eye as a “coming of age” story, as I am quite fond of those types of stories (my current favorite being “Stand By Me” by Stephen King), and this story seems to be different than most coming of age stories just based on the length of the story (from pre-birth to young adult). I find it intriguing how the story has many points in his life, so then we can truly feel for what he is going through and how we can relate to his story. I do wonder how many “universal experiences that are just part of growing up” will occur, as that gives me more of a reason to be involved in the world that the book builds. All in all, seems like a good story to spend some time on. -Anders Buckhorn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is interesting because it is not in the conventional literary format. Krosoczka’s story is more personalized as a graphic memoir. This creates a stronger connection and meaning behind family, addiction, etc. I can’t wait for Mr. Krosoczka to visit Fitch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this book because it really showed me that when I think my life is bad it isn’t. This kid grew up living with his grand parents because both of his parents were drug addicts and they couldn’t raise him. I am blessed to have the parents I have and the influences in my life that help me keep going everyday at my best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this book and am reading it in class and enjoy Jarret’s perspective on the world around him. Jared’s experiences in his new school captivate the reader. Jarret’s skills In drawing cause him to get involved in the school newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emotional books are always one to catch people's attention. This being a graphic novel, readers get to watch the story unfold in a different way. This is a book I've been wanting to read for a while now, and I can't wait to read it in English this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these type of books. They always catch my attention right away and i also love how its a graphic novel so that we can see pictures also. I've seen this book multiple times and wanted to read it for awhile and i am excited.

    ReplyDelete