Wednesday, July 14, 2021

One of Us Is Lying

Blog Contributor: Rhiana Boutot

One of Us Is Lying, by Karen M. McManus, is not your typical murder mystery. It follows four Bayview High students after they've been accused of one of their classmates murder. Read along as we watch the story unfold through Bronwyn, Cooper, Addy, and Nate's different perspectives.

I've been writing for this blog since my freshman year, and I'm about to be a junior (oh how time flies!), yet I can't believe I haven't written about a mystery yet! They are my favorite genre, and this book is truly hard to beat if you are looking for a more contemporary piece still chock-full of twists and turns. At this point, I've probably reread this book four times, yet every time I come back to read it, I find new surprises and clues. McManus is very clever when it comes to foreshadowing. I also really enjoy the ending of this book and how you don't see it coming. My younger sister read this story after I had told her how much I enjoyed it, and she did not expect the ending at all.

One reason I absolutely adore this book is the fact that it's set in a high school; the book is filled with high school drama - although it is a little dramatized - and it makes the characters' consequences feel much more real. Most mysteries I enjoy come from Agatha Christie (hello, Murder on the Orient Express?), Dan Brown and The DaVinci Code, or even simple Sherlock Holmes stories. Yet one thing these stories have in common is, for lack of a better word, their "oldness." These stories are all wonderful, but they don't feel relatable to me, a 16 year-old high school student. That's why I love One of Us Is Lying so much, it follows high school students who are a little more relatable than world-renowned detectives. I'm not saying a book has to be relatable in order to be an enjoyable story, but I personally enjoy books more when I can create connections between myself and the characters I read about. 

If you are into mysteries (especially murder mysteries!), or you are looking for a fast-paced thriller, this book is the perfect read. It's full of twists and surprises, and even some romance for the people out there who love to read about love (myself included). McManus did a wonderful job at creating a story that has something everyone would like.

This book has a sequel, One of Us Is Next, so expect a blog about it soon!

16 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your blog entry because you were very clear about the main description of what the book is about as well as being able to slip in a few reconditions for other books that are similar. I thought it was very helpful that you explained that this book is more relatable to you and your life compared to other books. Lastly, I appreciate how included that this book would be perfect for a variety of people and why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read mystery books before but your entry really got my thinking why I haven't yet. Your entry really gets me interested in this genre. You also explain how you always find something new every time you reread. that kind of explanation
    not only makes your readers want to read this book but to reread it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have bought this book a while ago but never got the chance or interest to read it. I loved your entry because it caught my attention and gave a great description of the book that made me interested to pick up the book. I've never read a mystery book before but, from your entry it sounds like something that I would be intrigued to read about. I loved your description of this book. It stood out to me the most because how descriptive it was. It really grabbed my attention and influenced me to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mystery book! My favorite, first off. The way you describe how this book is fantastic made me want to buy and read it myself! I might just do so because of this. I also like the idea of foreshadowing in books or shows, they're my favorite part, even if they're very much obvious. I think that this book sounds very much interesting, and I hope to read it during my high school years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this entry on this book because it shows that you have read this book multiple times and it has shown new things each time you have read it. It also seems like it is a very entertaining book to invest some free time in. Being someone who has never really read a mystery book, this one seems great to start off on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You seem like an expert on this book having read it four times! Mystery books are one of my favorite genres of books because you never know what's next. Being able to relate to a story can help it come to life, and this book seems very relatable to the average high-schooler. Foreshadowing is a key element in these kinds of books, so I'm glad to see that it is present.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mystery books are always a blast for me. My mom liked to read books to us a lot when I was little and a couple of them were mysteries and I would get so into them. This one sounds especially cool because it takes place with characters who are my age and that go to high school as well. I feel I should pick this one up sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is making me want to read mystery books more often. I never thought about reading a book where i can relate to the character. It sounds even more interesting considering the fact that it’s about high school drama

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm big into mystery books so I'd totally be interested in a murder mystery within a high school. I think when books make characters seem more real it makes the reader have emotion when something happens to their favorite character. I think that books like this are important to read more than once due to the hints/clues imbedded into it. I will totally be reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading this blog makes me start to really enjoy mystery books. It's kinda cool because I can relate to some of these characters and it's crazy to know this stuff actually happens. Mystery is about to be my new genre of books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always into anything that has to do with mystery and reading about this book makes me want to start reading it myself to see what happens throughout the book. I feel like mystery books are always interesting to read because of their plot twists, investigating, and etc.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy these books due to how they really help you feel on the edge of your seat especially mystery books like these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This blog is good for helping discuss your thoughts on what you thought about a book or anything, this is a great help :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. This blogs great for helping with suspense. It also helps with discussions and things involving that. I also really enjoyed reading cause these things helped me stay entertained this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this blog is helpful to talk with people about things. Also, it can be used to see other peoples opinions on books/subjects. Lastly, the books read help me increase my reading skills which is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cover on this book didnt really catch my eye until i read your blog.I love how you told us about the story, just enough to get us wanting to read the books ourselves. Teasing us about the crazy ending and telling us that this is a good murder mystery by comparing them to some of Agatha Christies books.z

    ReplyDelete