Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Reading Next... Joy Luck Club, reread!

 

The Joy Luck Club is always a popular choice title when we read for small group book clubs.  Each year, while my classes are reading from any where between 4-8 titles, I usually choose 1 or 2 to closely reread, at least half way through.  

It's been a while since I chose The Joy Luck Club as my reread.  I love this book, and in the 2018-2019 academic year, it reminded me so much of my mother who had recently passed away, there was no way I could grab the title and read it.  Instead, I'd smile and listen to the discussion groups, maintain every ounce of strength I had to get through class, and gear myself up to get through the papers about Waverly and her mother.  That's the thing about great books.  They can be so relatable- and sometimes, that connection can be a bit too much to bear.

This year, we were faced with all sorts of bad news and depressing events.  And my student readers of The Joy Luck Club were such a fun and pleasant group to be around, even on the zoom, I figured it was time for me to reopen Amy Tan, and I am so glad that I did!  I read the first few chapters and then abruptly closed the book after workshopping an approach paper (with in person writing conference session which was so great and not on zoom)!   I was enjoying the book so much, I decided to save it for a summer pleasure read instead of reading it for class.  

Even though I opened The Goblet of Fire last night and have about three other books going, I am planning on diving back into Amy Tan today.  I honestly cannot wait!  All of the humor and most agonizing moments of mother daughter relationships are ready and waiting, and this time, it is much more of a visit alongside my mom than a reminder that she is with me in new ways every day, even if she isn't really physically with me.  

5 comments:

  1. This description of The Joy Luck Club has me very interested in this book! From the way it was described, it sounds to me like a story packed with emotions, that will make just about anyone both laugh and cry. In my experience, stories about powerful bonds between two characters can be very moving when done properly, and it sounds like The Joy Luck Club does exactly that. Although I haven’t read it myself, I can tell each page contributes to a heartfelt narrative. I hope I get the chance to read this sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the description of the book it was really sad. I would definitely read this book in my free time with either my family or a group of people. I'm really excited to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The powerful connection between mother and daughter that is described in this book makes me want to crack into it right away. It seems like a really interesting read, and a very moving message to convey to the reader. I will definitely be reading this book sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your description of The Joy Luck Club is very interesting! I love how you tie it back to your own personal life and say how it has affected you for years. Your preview makes me want to open the book myself and have similar experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you described this book makes it seem great! I like the way that a book like this was able to cheer you up and help you through tough times. It sounds like a great book that i might be interested in reading!

    ReplyDelete