Friday, September 18, 2020

 

March  By: John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell


    March is about civil rights legend John Lewis. It took place during the time when Jim Crow Laws were in place that created segregation between African Americans and White people. One thing I really took away from the book was not only their determination to be treated the same way. 

I learned several things from this book. But what I really was interested in was the non violence protesting. Civil Rights icons and John Lewis were really very religious so it was against their nature to be violent. One example of a peaceful protest was when Diane, a person in the book, and other people would go into a restaurant that only served white people. They would just sit down and go about their business. Then they went back the next day and the day after showing determination and not budging for anybody.

By reading this book it really gave me a new perspective on the civil rights movement and I really feel like it helps me understand what people went through during that time. However, I can not understand why one would be racist in the first place because I do not understand why someone should judge someone by the color of their skin. Given this, I think the best way to defeat  hate is with determination, love, and that is what I learned from March.


9 comments:

  1. I think I would be really interested in reading this book during my free time. I just love anything and everything about how they protest for non violence and they aren’t afraid to follow what they want. I just think this book can teach you a lot of things from the Civil Rights and help you understand the meaning of the Civil Rights movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog has peaked my interest in this book. I have always loved books about civil rights and I suspect that "March" will be no different. It was also very helpful that Ms. McKenna used specific details from the book to illustrate her points, and helped me better understand the 'gist' of the book. After looking into "March" further, I know this is a good read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, March sounds like a very interesting story that teaches the reader not only facts about the Civil Rights Movement, but also strong yet peaceful concepts used back then, that can still be applied to real world issues today, big and small. It’s for these reasons that this book intrigues me. I would love to learn more about the Civil Rights Movement, and hopefully at the same time learn from the characters’ determination. I’d be very happy to dive into this book and learn more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds really interesting and I would love to read it in my spare time. Also, I think it would be very helpful to younger generations to learn more about the civil rights movement and why we are still fighting for protesting for it today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your book entry because it grabbed my attention. I thought it was interesting how you said it changed your perspective on civil rights. That makes me want to read the book and I would be interested to read this in my free time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be interested in reading about this book because I'm really big when it comes to history and learning about the past is always interesting to read about because obviously most of us in school now weren't born at the time when everything happened back in the day, so reading a book about it now always feels good to know about the past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this book because it shows what happen or how the preparation of the march really happened. It also gave me an inside view of what its like living as a different colored person back then. This book really grabs my attention and I hope it grabs other attention as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book should be read by other people to show the strength, power, and dedication put into this march. Martin Luther King is inspirational to most people because no matter the hate he got he still pushed through.This book s truly legendary and it shows the strength of origins.

    ReplyDelete