Thursday, August 30, 2018

1984


Novel: 1984
Author: George Orwell
Blogger: Mackenzie Jimenez
 
    In the book, 1984, you get sucked in a dystopian society along with the characters of the book. The book deals with living in a society in Oceania where your every move and sound is watched by Big Brother. Big Brother is the ruler of Oceania and his face is plastered on everything you could think of, ranging from billboards to coins.
    The main character of the book is Winston Smith. As long as Winston can remember his every move has been and has the opportunity to be watched. At any given moment he could be caught doing something that would ultimately have him “vaporized” which means his every existence would disappear from society, never to be heard from or about again. He questions how Big Brother came to be and knows that from working with the news paper, most of the information put out into the public is all false. In the book Winston finds ways to go against the order of Big Brother and he starts using a diary to write down the thoughts that roam through his head that he is not able to say out loud.
 
As claimed in the book nothing is illegal in Oceania but that doesn’t mean that you can roam around and do what you want. By writing in this diary for either people in the past or the future, he doesn’t know why he decided to do it, but he was always aware of the consequences if caught. Throughout the book many more characters come into play into his story and become a part what goes down in his diary. The reason the book is so intriguing is because Winston knows what could happen to him if caught by Big Brother, but he is willing to take that chance to write about present day for purposes of the past life of what Oceania was or for the references of the future, so that things can change.
 
    This book is a great book for high school students because it keeps you on edge. It always has a new twist to the story that makes you wonder if Winston or any other character that comes into play will one day get caught by Big Brother. The book is a great summer reading book because it's a book that is very easy to get through while still being age appropriate and enjoyable.

9 comments:

  1. I think that this book sounds very interesting and would keep me hooked. I really enjoy reading mystery books that also keep you on edge. I have not heard of or read any books that seem similar to this one so I know that it would not get repetitive and would keep me reading. I think that I would really enjoy reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this book sounds very intriguing. Much like Gavin has said I have never really read a book quite like this one. it sounds very suspenseful and able to keep me wanting to know what will happen next throughout the whole story. I think that this would be a very enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds very suspenseful and action packed. I like how thought out and well put the post was written and it makes me want to read the book right away. A lot of high school students should read this book because it keeps you wanting to read more and gets you pulled in. This would be a great book for teachers to have the students read in class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that I will enjoy reading this book. I say this because last year In English I read the book called “Of Mice and Men” and it was written by George Orwell. I liked that book very much because of the authors style of writing. This is the reason why I would like to read “1984”.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. This book sounds like something I have to read. Of course, I love dystopian societies and the way the author uses exaggeration to highlight his claims against society today. I feel that this book may have claims against “Big Brother” or the idea the government is always watching. I can not wait to read this

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds amazing. It doesn't sounds like a boring book. this book is the right book for someone who doesn't like to read and it just keeps you intrigue.just like " Mackenzie Jimenez" said , it does keeps you on edge and I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's books like these where just a description of it already wants you reading it. I'm more of a fantasy book guy, but the way Mackenzie Jimenez worded the post just got me hooked immediately. One thing I know I'll love about this book is the suspense and thrill that keeps you on the edge of your seat as Winston and the other characters find a way to disobey Big Brother. This is especially effective on me because I always feel empathy for characters in books, movies, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The description of the book already hooks my attention. The fact that there is barely to none privacy that just makes me wonder how their life style is. Having to write down your thoughts that you can’t say out loud must be hard also. There must be so much suspense in the book, the description makes me want to read it already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The description of the book, didn't quite grab my attention. I feel as if it ruined all the excitement in store. Although, I can't know for sure until I read the book myself, maybe I'd like it in the end.

    ReplyDelete