Thursday, August 1, 2019

Characters We Remember

I'm currently reading a fun fantasy children's series titled Keeper of the Lost Cities, seven titles with an ensemble cast of elves trying to make their world a better place despite some really disturbing changes.  Like most fantasy, it's an escape read, and while I'm enjoying it, Harry Potter definitely resonates with me on a whole other level. 

We Are OkayCertain titles stay with us for certain reasons.  I could blog about any of the titles that have stayed with me, but instead, I will write about a title I read at the start of the summer, We are Okay, by Nina LaCour.  I checked LaCour's book out at the GPL on the recommendation of a student.  She wrote her final paper on this book, composing a really rich piece about the main character and the overall connectivity of this character's experience.  It was a beautiful essay, and I knew I had to read the book even though my list of "things I want to read this summer" kept growing, and growing, and growing. 

The main character, Marin, is spending the Christmas break during her freshman year alone on a cold (and later snowy) college campus in the northeast.  Marin's story is unique; I loved how LaCour created something deep, original, and worthwhile.  Marin's Christmas break is full of separate reckonings with past, with present, with future, and with self.  It's a really slim book; you can read it in a day, but it unpacks an unforgettable story. 

I think Marin will stay with me for a while, joining characters like Oskar Schell from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and Werner and Marie-Laure from All the Light We Cannot See.

Have you met characters that will stay with you?  You can use the comment section to share.  

6 comments:

  1. I really like the way you explained how you connected with the character and her story. The way you explained how the story stayed with you really intrigued me to want to check out the book and see for myself if i would connect with the book on the same level. Although I wished you explained more on what the book was about I really enjoined reading about your view about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I read this book is a christmas themed book and i do like christmas books. If I find this book in the library I will use this for my project next year. It is a good thing you didn't spoil the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds very interesting. I always enjoy reading a book more when I can connect to the characters. Especially when they stick with me after I have finished reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find this story really interesting because it can relate to a lot of people in a way. I can see people reading this and trying to imagine themselves in the situation and by reading this it makes me want to check it out, and read it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this books cover makes me not want to read it, but you should never judge a book by its cover. Once i read the book i realized that it wasn't that bad. it helped me understand different points of view.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The way you explained the book and by the over of it, I'm really interested in reading this. It seems very interesting and I'm adding this too my list for sure.

    ReplyDelete