Wednesday, August 14, 2019

The Boy in the Black Suit

 
21490991I'm spending my time reading from my list of "on decks" while I wait for some new titles by my favorite YA authors to be released in the fall.  One such title releases on October 8 by Jason Reynolds, Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks.  Reynolds has an illustrator collaborating with him on this title, Alexander Nabaum, so we can be guaranteed that whatever creative notions are happening in this text, they will have superpowers.  Needless to say, I am very excited.

In the meantime, I just finished The Boy in the Black Suit, an uplifting story about Matt, a 17-year old who faces some tough times but still manages to work his way through due to caring people in his life.  The neighborhood feel of the book reminded me about why I enjoy the Track series so much, and Matt's realistic demeanor in facing loss is signature Reynolds.  The book also isn't without its quirky moments, which I always appreciate because to me, if it isn't goofy, it isn't true to being a teen read.  I also learned a new texting acronym smh, so I'm feeling pretty awesome about that as well.  Perhaps most notable about this book is the young characters who just keep on moving forward even when life tries to drag them way down.  




9 comments:

  1. I read this book last summer and it gave me a closer perspective at how people cope with loss. I loved the relationship between Matt and his girlfriend. I was able to see how three people coped with loss. Matt's dad went to drinking, Matt attended random peoples funerals to see how they coped with it and his girlfriend who didn't cry at all which he thought was strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  3. This book sounds so interesting to read I would love to read it because It’s in a teens perspective and I love when writers relate books off teens because I can really relate to them. It also shows that when you’re in a rough situation or you’re in a tough time that you need to just push through it and keep on going. I also like that he attended other people’s funerals to show how they coped with their family members death I loved how he did a little experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would very much like to read this book. It sounds like a good lesson that comes out of this story is that people are always there for you, no matter what. It is a good message for anyone going through some tough times. I will have to give this book a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book seems very interesting to read. The troubles that he had to go through as a teenager was hard to imagine. The unrelenting support of his family and friends make me want to read this book even more

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book looks very interesting but too sad for me because I couldn’t imagine losing my mom. It also makes me said because I can just imagine him lying on his bed listening to “dear mama” by Tupac and crying by himself. At least he ends up finding someone who loves him like his mom did. I couldn’t read this book though because it would be too sad but it looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this book was really good and im gonna try to read it next year for summer reading next year but this book does have some sad things in it because he loses his mom so that part of the book would not be that good. but other than that this book would be a great book to read in the summer

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book looks really good because of how relatable is to life and how we all lose someone at one time or another. I feel like I would really be able to get into this book due to the fact that is realistic and has a neighborhood feel to it. I might read this book next year because of how modern it is and how I might be able to relate the story to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The book "The boy in the black suit" looks like a fascinating book. It makes me question why the author, Jason Reynolds chose this title and picture. This book seem very interesting and I would definitely add it to my list of book that I would read throughout the year. I find it interesting to see how the boy pushed forward though life even with obstacles along the way.

    ReplyDelete