Saturday, July 14, 2018

How It All Begins

Yesterday, we had a fun discussion about great opening lines.  It made me wonder about certain books.  Sometimes, it takes a while to get started, and others just naturally have that hook that pulls you.  I could probably spend a full day blogging about opening lines that I admire.  A look outside to an incredibly beautiful day demands that I keep the list short for now.  After all, it is summer.

Here are five opening lines I like, not in any order of importance. 
  • "The gunman is useless."  -- I Am the Messenger, Markus Zusak
  • "All he could see, in every direction, was water."  -- Unbroken, Laura Hillenbrand
  • "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." -- Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston
  • "Look, I didn't want to be a half blood."   -- The Lightning Thief, Rick Riordan from Chapter One, aptly titled  "I Accidentally Vaporize My Maths Teacher"
  • "There was no possibility of taking a walk that day."  -- Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
Do you have an opening line that you admire?  Post it here and explain why.

1 comment:

  1. "I've read many more books than you." -Everything, Everything, Nicola Yoon.
    This is my favorite opening line because it was extremely relatable. When I read the first line it reminded me a lot of myself. It made me feel like I was going to really enjoy the book, so it made it really hard to put down.

    ReplyDelete